
That time when our little B has another "adventure", no not a fun adventure. Not an adventure where you find treasures untold, or discover new things...Well okay she probably did discover something new this time around again. She probably discovered that a treadmill means business. I too discovered that I am absent minded as a parent at times and it really stinks to try to forgive yourself.
On with the story...{for if I don't journal it I may never get it out of my head}
Our children like to exercise and they LOVE the treadmill. I don't allow them to go over 3 mph on it. I make sure they wear the red clip so it will shut down if ever they fall or what not. I usually stand down and watch them while they walk on the treadmill.
Well this particular night, I really wanted to spend some quality time with K.bug, she wanted to watch dancing with the stars. So when Jedi asked if they could walk on the treadmill I relayed all the rules for the umpteenth time and he said I remember we won't go over three and we will be safe. {they have been doing this for almost 2 years}. Okay I think they can handle it.
WRONG!!!!!!
30 minutes later as K.bug and I sit enjoying the show I start to hear the most awful screaming I jump up just as I hear Jedi run across the basement floor yelling for me. I ran Flew down the stairs to find poor B with her little pinkie stuck at the end of the treadmill between the frame and the roller....the safety belt wrapped around the handle instead of on her little pants, and a scream coming from her mouth I don't think I have ever heard. I had to roll the roller and work her little finger out of the treadmill.....then comes the best moment. Instead of just hugging her I yell at her {yep mommy of the year}, I should have been yelling at myself for neglecting to be down there while they were walking, instead I punish her. Don't worry I realized right after I was just scared to death there wouldn't be a finger after I pulled it out and apologized and explained I handled it the wrong way. I then really examined it {I will save you from the pictures}. She had burned/ripped a big chunk out of the inside of her pinkie :( I was so sad for her I can't imagine how badly that must have hurt.
Justin was about 3 minutes from home I was ready to run her to the Doctor, but she asked for a blessing first {well at least we did something right}. Justin gave her a blessing and I received a little inspiration at the same time. So instead of running into the doctor I called my friend who is an RN and wonderful to see what she thought {B was very adamant about not going to the Doctor}. When that wonderful friend arrived she said if it were my child I wouldn't take her, she said there really isn't anything they can do other than clean it and wrap it and she brought her trusty nurse bag with all of that stuff :). Oh how I love good neighbors who become good friends! So she doctored her up real good and we snuggled her into bed because that is all she wanted was to go to bed and forget.
I wish I could have done the same, but this morning it still haunts me that I was not down there to make this not happen. Sometimes being a parents really {pardon my language} SUCKS!
One of my least/most favorite parts of this story, is that our little Jedi came to her rescue. You see she fell off the treadmill {still not sure how} and that is why her little pinkie was down that way in the first place and he ran to turn it off for her so that she wasn't more injured. My favorite part because he loves her so much and didn't hesitate to run and help her immediately, my least because he had to be the one to do it.
I will forget one day right......
I sure hope so because I still wake up crying about the pool incident.

No comments:
Post a Comment