Well I was able to serve in the new Oquirrh Mountain Temple. When I got my assignment I was a little worried. It said I was an Elevator Operator. Those of you who know me well know that I HATE elevators.
I convinced myself that I would be outside of it directing people to it and pushing up or down for them. Justin on the other hand was a little like the devil on my shoulder sayin' (rather laughin'), no you have to ride it up and down and direct people on and off.
Sure enough when I got there that is EXACTLY what I was doing. I had to ride from the basement to the first floor and from the third floor to the first floor to pick up and drop people off. So I said a little prayer so that I didn't have a panic attack. I would rather walk 30 flights of stairs than take an elevator. I am not exaggerating!
All was going well I only hit the button wrong once, while on the bottom floor I said to go to the third floor when we really needed to go to the first floor. I quickly hit 1 on the way up and it stopped their first. PHEW!
The real mishap came when one of the ladies decided to over stuff the elevator a little, we had two wheelchairs and one double stroller along with a few other individual riders. While I was trying not to have a panic attack, because the space was closing in quickly and think of how the elevator could fall, and add up everybody's weight in my head to see if it was too much for the cables to stand, I had to step back so a little boy could have a little more room for his toes. When all of a sudden I heard the sound of a dial tone, then the sound of dialing, then ringing then.......
Oh yes the emergency operator.....hmmmmm did we fall?????? No silly my butt has grown over the past few months and I don't know how wide it is anymore and apparently it has fingers and can touch the emergency elevator button. So when the nice lady on the overhead speaker said, "Elevator emergency is there an emergency?" I kindly and looking a little more red in the face than white (green for my Froggy lovers) said, " UM no actually my butt hit the button sorry!"
Only I can run an elevator and screw it up! Oh well it made for a great memory.
Hope ya all laughed your A_ _es off like my mother in law did! LOL
4 comments:
I love it! Especially the part where you said your butt grew fingers I am SO Laughing MAO right now! So... did you overcome your fear of elevators?
Um I actually did really well. Still not a fan but I think I can ride in them better now.
Well, I'm so glad you got over your fear of elevators. Sorry that your butt actually has fingers now! So...in the winter, do they make gloves for that? hahaha
And, I loved your Froggy tribute! I would have understood even without the parentheses. :)
wv: redur what my legs are since I decided NOT to put sunscreen on them yesterday! OUCH!!
You have seen toooo many elevator movies. You come from a long line of elevator guys! Let me count the ways, Pops, Uncle Jim, cousins Derek, Vern, cuz-in-law Mike and even your own dad for a short stint. They run on rails now not cables. They are much safer than a car!! Gotta love my Georgie Girl. :)
Post a Comment