"Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said."

Friday, May 11, 2012

Gluten Free Cooking

find this recipe here On Gluten Free Goddess
"Wowsers!" as quoted by Inspector Gadget.  That is the nice word that can come to mind while trying to figure out how to cook Gluten Free....Okay wait cooking not so hard...baking ugh!  no double UGH!
I can't tell you how many times Wowsers has not been enough for my frustration in baking.  When we received B's diagnosis I thought no problem switch out GF flours for Wheat Flours....WRONG {in most cases}.  That is wrong if you want it to somewhat resemble what you used to know as a baked good.
But lucky us that there are wonderful cooks out there who persevered and are willing to share for free on their wonderful blogs.  Seriously what would we do without wonderful bloggers!
My ALL time favorite blog is this one Gluten Free Goddess and that she is!  We have had wonderful chocolate chip cookies, some bread {this one I still haven't quite mastered} and some yummy brownies.....Yeah you see what I think is important.  She is 8 for heaven sakes the kid needs some goodies once in a while.  :)
She has never been a big sandwich eater, I am sure because her tummy always hurt after, so bread is not a big deal.
She uses her Mission Corn Tortillas for her sandwich needs and does just fine.  I would however love to perfect the bread mine just always comes out too crumbly to really work.  I will get the right mix one day.
So go check out Gluten Free Goddess she truly is amazing and has a website packed full of yummy stuff!

Here is what we purchased the week we found out:
Rice {Jasmine, Brown, White Long Grain.}
Quinoa
Millet
Betty Crocker  Baking Mix {waffles or pancakes from this can substitute your bread for a bit while you figure it out}
Coffee Grinder {to grind up the different grains ie: Rice, Quinoa, Millet}

Other great things that we found out later:
Tapioca Flour
Potato Starch
Sourghum {one of my favorites}

Hope this helps somebody to get started!  Remember it takes a great smile and lots of laughter to get through the first year  :)

No comments: