"Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said."

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Consequences. . . . .

What an afternoon.  I have expressed my feelings before about Jedi's ADD that I have recently noticed changing.  He is AL0T more energetic, than he used to be, he tends to not think before he says things.  Some I am sure is age, but some is ADD/ADHD.
Recently Church has become a big issue and I find him extremely disrespectful, which is N0T okay at all.  He keeps busy during sacrament drawing or he lays on the bench (I really don't like this but the alternative is worse).
Primary is where the BIG problem happens.  He has these wonderful primary teachers that are so kind and loving and he can't sit still for any longer.  I feel so bad for them, they shouldn't have to deal with it.
Today after church K.bug informed me that he was standing on his chair jumping running up to the front to give answers and just being loud and disruptive.
How did I feel. . . . Mortified, Sad, Angry, but most of all like a crappy Mom!  My child is having a terrible time controlling his behavior, he is 9 with ADD he does try.  We took him off his meds for the summer because we didn't want to suppress who he is we wanted him to have a normal energetic summer.
He let me know today he is ready to go back on and he thinks he needs them on Sundays too because he is having a REALLY HARD time sitting still and listening.
Wow I thought, you are so smart, I wish you would have told me sooner, but I will call the dr. in the morning and get his meds filled.
Now for the consequence of his actions. . . . because he will eventually have to learn to control himself and society doesn't give him a get away free ADD card.  He needs to learn.
He is now writing a letter to the adults in the primary that he was disrespectful to.  He will deliver them tomorrow and also tell them in person how sorry he is.  Why the letter then?  Because he is emotional and does feel extremely bad for the way he behaved, so he will cry and I want them and him to understand how important this is.
Is that enough I hope so.  I should have been more in tuned with my child to know that he was struggling, I should have caught this before he was so disrespectful and out of control.  I think it is time for me to take a look at what I am spending my time doing!

3 comments:

spice2116 said...

i dont necessarily think our kids have add or adhd it is all in what you feed them. have you checked out feingold? it really opened my eyes to our kids behaviors. when kearsty eats grapes you can tell in her eyes that she is not kearsty it was an interesting experience.

Unknown said...

Yeah I have it didn't seem to make a change for him. Thank you for the input tho I so wish it would have! I hate the medication.

Christy said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, girl! Be happy that he feels comfortable enough with you to tell you how he feels. That's worth more than all the observation in the world. That situation is a hard one. My hubby has ADD and went through grade school as a very poor student. He went on meds as a senior in high school which he said really helped. But by college he decided not to take them anymore and was able to graduate with a Master's. (But they have special programs for ADD in college.) But he still has to deal with his ADD in so many ways. So I guess my point is this: medication is good, but as he matures, he may decide to not use it. But I think my hubby would have had a much better childhood on it. So use it if you need to and be happy that medication is an option in our day and age. Is this too much advise for a blog comment? =) Love ya!