I am not one to watch the news it scares me depresses me and down right bores me... I know that is awful I just don't like to know the bad I like to think optimistically.
On Sunday I was puttin' dishes away, my mom-in-law had the news on, when all of a sudden I heard shooting and David Serbeck (who happens to be one of K.bugs friends dads and somebody I consider a friend.) in the same few seconds. I froze thinking n ow way did they just say that. So I tried to find it online of course I couldn't bring it up on KSL. So I called his house, no answer, panic sets in.....
Justin's mom googled his name and sure enough he was shot on the 22nd and now paralyzed from the chest down!!!!!!
Seriously who would have thought life could have changed in a matter of a few seconds. One split hasty decision changed a friends life not to mention a family's life FOREVER! How sad it is for them, but also for the family of the shooter. This shooting was a misunderstanding, it was something that could have been avoided with just a few short words, but somebody less experienced with a gun got scared and reacted on pure adrenalin and nerves.
I love this family with all of my heart. K.bug and their daughter have been friends for 5 years. They are very kind and sooooo much fun to be around. It breaks my heart to see them in so much pain.
On that note, he is an amazingly strong man, and they are an incredible family that have pulled together and looked at the brighter side that he is here with them. He has come so much further than they thought he would this early and he is fighting like hell to get better as soon as he can. He is learning how to live again and his family is standing behind him cheering him on.
It makes me realize how lucky we are and how much I don't want to take things for granted. I am grateful for these reminders in my life to count my blessings, and especially for the opportunity it is giving me to serve an incredible family.
4 comments:
SO SAD! It really makes you stop and think about how precious life is... and how things can change just. like. THAT! I have an uncle who was a bodybuilder... his body and health meant everything to him. I don't think he ever went one day without some kind of exercise... one day he was hit by a car from behind. His head rest snapped and so did his neck. His life has changed in ways I really don't like to talk about. Whenever I see him stuck in bed from bed sores or another infection I really have a hard time believing that it's really him! Thank you for this reminder... I needed it! God bless that family!
Is he home yet? Last I had heard he was in and out of a comma. But that was news from last week.
He won't come home for another 5-7 weeks but he is in therapy all morning each day so he is pretty worn out and in quite a bit of pain.
That's freaky! And what a small small small small world we live in. The guy who shot him used to be in our ward. (if this is the story I'm thinking about)
I feel bad for both families, but especially the one you're talking about!
And the story confirms to me, that concealed weapons permits aren't reallly a good thing!
So sorry again for your friend and his family. I hope he is doing OK and I pray for him and his family.
Post a Comment